Friday 11 December 2009

comma splices gain credibility

I've just noticed some comma splices in such a prestigious text that I'm now doubting my own ability to spot them. It's in a book called Learning to Dance: Elizabeth Jolley: Her life and Work.

As the blurb says, 'Elizabeth Jolley is one of Australia's most significant and best-loved writers'. So, if she's using comma splices they must have a role to play. I noticed them most in a short story called Paper Children. Here are a couple of examples:
Even their letters were strange, they wrote in English because Lisa had never learned to speak anything else.

Lisa tried to look forward to the visit, she knew so little about her mother, an old lady now after a life of hard work as a doctor.
The use of these constructions seems to me to give a sense of intimacy, closeness to the point of view of the two characters in the story.

And, from another story, Pear Street Dance:
No one needed to read anything, the Newspper of Claremont Street told them all the news.
I guess, now that I'm looking out for comma splices, I'm going to find them all over the place...

6 comments:

limom said...

This is interesting. Does this mean it has become acceptable or is this just an example of taking "literary license?"
It sure looks like a semi colon should have been used.
I can see doing it if it is a pacing or tempo thing.
Hell, I don't even use complete sentences.
For tempo.
Sometimes.

parlance said...

I can see I'd better go through your novel with a fine-tooth comb, lol. (I haven't sat down to read from the beginning, yet, as it took me a while to realise the chapters go in reverse order - duh!)

limom said...

Ha! At least that means someone is reading it!

theregatha said...

I am intrigued by the notion of "the newspaper from Clemont street" telling them everything. Does this impune the character of some dear 'friendly and highly informed neighbour' (gossip I would think the less friendly term) who lived in the street, or did they actually have to read the newspaper? If the latter, how could one claim they never had to read anything?
Yes, I can find myself very confused just reading a jam jar!

theregatha said...

ooops, misspelled the street,
Claremont, not Clemont... sorry

parlance said...

theregatha, you're spot on! It was a negative portrayal of the woman, as a busy body.